Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Winter Salad
I really struggle to eat well over the winter and I give in to what makes me happy short term but recently I have been left feeling run down and a bit slow. When it's icy cold outside and you want to snuggle up on the sofa and get cosy it is very easy to turn to a warming home comforts, be it macaroni cheese or a nice pizza. Unfortunately these foods can leave us feeling stodgy and lethargic the next morning. So how can we keep cosy but also be ready to face the next day? Salad may not be what you want me to say but this one is warm, creamy and tastes extra tasty if eaten snuggled in a blanket but still being healthy and full of goodness!
Please excuse the measurements, I love to cook and I use it as a way to switch off and get creative so I usually cook with my eyes and feeling rather than scales.
Ingredients | serves 1
1 inch slice of large butternut squash,
1 sweet potato
1 handful of broccoli florets
2 handfuls of baby leaf spinach (kale would also work)
2 desserts spoons of soft goats cheese or vegan alternative
1 clove of garlic, finely sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
sprinkle of pomegranate
1/2 tbsp of balsamic glaze
1 tsp of dark soy sauce
1 tsp of maple syrup
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of salt and pepper
1) Pre heat oven to 200 degrees C, peel and slice squash and sweet potato into small cubes and place on a baking tray with a little oil for 30 mins, turning occasionally.
2) After 20 mins, place broccoli into boiling water.
3) Slice the mushrooms and saute them in a little oil with the garlic.
4) Add dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
5) Place spinach on a plate, layer with potato, squash, broccoli, avocado and mushrooms.
6) Top with dressing, dollops of cheese and a sprinkle of pomegranate